- Please don’t ask me to have hope. Hope hurts, and I don’t want to hurt anymore.
- Stefan, every time we do this I let myself hope a little. And when we end up back at zero, my heart crushes in on itself a little bit more. I don’t know how much my heart has left, you know?
- I had a plan to grow old with Enzo and come home to him every night. I had a plan to live the kind of life that you and Stefan are living right now. I’m happy that you’re happy. I am. But when I see everything that you have – your home, your boyfriend, your kids, your life – it makes me feel so alone that I want to die.
- Damon’s done a lot of things, Tyler. things he’s going to have to spend the rest of his life atoning for, and I know that’s scary, but I believe he can do it. He just has to believe he can.
- I never get to have my chance. I always give it up, always do the right thing for everyone else.
- A good human skill is knowing when to shut up.
- My life is over, Stefan. My life has been over for a century and a half. Ever since you took it from me.
- Every drop of blood I ever spilled, every body I’ve ever drained, every bad decision I’ve ever made sealed my fate. My path and Elena’s path, they’re not the same. Her great beyond is a decidedly happier one than mine.
- Whatever desire you have to save me, I kind of need that right now.
- The Salvatore brothers back on the road again. We need a theme song or something.
- I’m sure you’re all asking yourselves why I barged in tonight. Relax, I come bearing a gift. Now, unfortunately, I’m only going to be able to give it to the most despicably evil person in the room, and that’s going to be a tough decision. But tonight, one lucky little elf is going to get an all-expenses paid, one way trip, straight to hell. Meaning, I’m going to kill one of you. Let’s eat!
- Why are you here, Stefan? Why are you always there to straighten me out when I go off the rails? You’re here because you blame yourself for turning me in the first place. Apparently, I still do, too. At least until today. I officially forgive you… I forgive you for making me what I am. I absolve you of all the death and destruction I’ve caused as a result. And you want to know why? Because you’re my brother and I love you and there’s nothing you could do to ever change that.
- Dear Bonnie, I am a coward. I should be saying this to your face, not writing this letter, but I know if I do, you’ll talk me out of running away from all my problems. You’re going to make me face a future without Elena and you’re going to help make me the best man I can possibly be, the same way she did. And I’m absolutely terrified of failing you both. So I’m leaving because I’d rather let you down once then let you down for the rest of your life. And I hope it’s the happiest because you, Bonnie Bennett, are an amazing woman, a mediocre crossword puzzle player and my best friend. With great love and respect, Damon.
- The brave thing to do is stay.
- In my wretched, miserable life, I have inflicted a fantastic amount of pain. I don’t think my slate will ever be clean. But I don’t need some spirit journey with a bunch of strangers to convince me that my redemption is within reach. I just need the people I love. The list is short, but profound. You’re right at the top, alongside a great girl I hope to marry one day. Don’t walk away from your list because you don’t think you’re worth it.
- I am the big brother. I’m sorry I wasn’t better at it until now.
- When it comes to you, love, I would never stop fighting. I would brave the oceans and sail past the sirens to find my way back to you.
- The fact there are endless ways humans will tempt death for their own amusement never ceases to amaze me.
- Nothing I could do as a vampire will be better than being with you as a human.
- Walk away. Fight. Whatever it is she wants you to do and get your life back. Walk away, Damon. Think about what you want at the end of it all. Think about who you want.
- Damon, I gave you that necklace, because it is as powerful and as magical as the love that you and Elena have for each other. Being here and feeling what you’re feeling proves that a love that deep and real can win over anything.
- The fact that you’re telling me this proves you care. Somewhere deep down in that part of you where Elena is still buried. Find that place, Damon. Fight for her. Or spend the rest of eternity trying to figure out what happened to the best part of you. It’s your choice.
- You know what I did after I became a vampire? I graduated. I went to college. I became a news anchor. There are downsides, believe me. But the one very big positive is that life doesn’t have to stop after you die.
- I love you, Stefan. The other you. The good you. But this quarter of a man I’m staring at isn’t you. Not even remotely, so if Damon is the answer to getting your humanity back and not me, fine. I will do whatever it takes. And we will love each other forever, or we won’t. And we’ll make our relationship work, or we won’t. But either way, I’m getting you back.
- I remember how you told me that when I was ready for you, you would be ready for me. I’m ready now. I think a part of me has been ready for this day since the moment I first saw you, the new mystery guy in the hallway at school. I will always remember this moment. A hundred years from now, I will remember this moment for the both of us.
- Take it from me. Elena Gilbert never really goes away.
- You can compel away all the evidence of what I’ve done. Doesn’t change the fact that I did it.
- I’m not on your side. I can’t be. Because you will never understand what it feels like to be consumed with a constant hunger or to have a switch in your brain that can turn you into a monster, and until yesterday, I had no idea what it felt like to be helpless in the face of that.
- I figured out that I’m an idiot. I’m intellectually challenged, maybe even blind. I couldn’t see that everything that I was looking for was right here in you. I have a lifetime of work to do to make things right, but I can’t imagine doing it without you.
- Caroline, you’ve been my friend, my conscience, my sounding board. You saw light in me when all I saw was darkness. You saved me from despair. You told me once that I would fall madly in love without realising it, and that’s what happened. Day by day, bit by bit, year by year, with you.
- We’re all responsible for our own actions. Every drop of blood that I’ve spilled, I’m accountable for.
- Damon wanted to sacrifice everything to save you. To save this town. He was ready. I’m human now. He compelled me to leave. But he should have known better. I would never walk a day on this earth as a human without taking vervain.
- Tonight I saw a side of Damon that I hadn’t seen in a while. The older brother I looked up to. The son who enlisted in the Civil War to please his father. The Damon I knew when I was a boy. I wanted you to have an opportunity to get to know him. He’s the better man. He’s the right man. It’s good to see you, Elena. One last time.
- I’m not the thing inside your head you have to fear, Damon. You are.
- I was almost really worried about you for a second. Then I got over it.
- I’ll sleep when I’m dead, which will eventually happen because I’m human. I intend to stay that way if I can help it.
- You know, all your friends keep talking about poor, self-hating Stefan, like getting to live is the biggest torture of all. You know what’s worse than living with all that guilt? Surviving murder. You know what’s worse than surviving? Being murdered.
- That fighting in your gut, that voice telling you to hate yourself for what you did, that’s not a bad thing. That means you’re a good person.
- I’ve been in hell long enough to know that there is no such thing as redemption. There are only promises and bargains and tricks we play on ourselves to make us believe that we’re good people. I’m not a good person. I own that. And if I’m going down, I’m going out with a bang.
- Dear Diary, today will be different. Today I will smile. It will be genuine. Because today is that day that I get to live again.
- This life will be good. And beautiful. But not without heartbreak. In death comes peace, but pain is the cost of living. Like love, it’s how we know we’re alive.
- And that’s my life. Weird, messy, complicated, sad, wonderful, amazing and above all, epic. And I owe it all to Stefan. When I met him I had lost my parents and I was dead inside. But he brought me back to life and I’m going to live it as best I can, for as long as I can.
- Even after our long and happy life together, Damon is still worried he’ll never see Stefan again. That he’ll never find peace. But I know he’s wrong, because peace exists. It lives in everything we hold dear. That is the promise of peace. That one day, after a long life, we find each other again.