- I thought I would heal from my mom’s death. I really thought that time would pass and one day I would be ready to move on. But, she’s my mom and I’m never gonna stop missing her.
- So it was kind of like ‘The Notebook,’ except you two never reconnect and he totally forgot about you.
- He’s Damon. Like a cockroach, always survives.
- That’s life, Caroline. I mean, you can’t just sit back and wait for the good parts to happen, but what you can do is forgive yourself for trying to be happy during the bad parts.
- Is Elena’s influence on you so weak that you can’t tell right from wrong without her holding your hand?
- All she wanted was forgiveness and you practically spat in her face!
- Why so gloomy? Looks like you got everything you wanted.
- Give me a break! I don’t want to add your death to a long list of things that are already my fault.
- I don’t know who I am without you, but I do know that as long as I’m without you time will stand still.
- Maybe, with a little luck, I’ll do right by you. Because you may be one thousand miles away or one hundred years away, but you’re still with me and my heart is right there in that coffin with you until you come back to me.
- I’m thinking I should rip out her heart and bronze it like a trophy.
- Screw the new leaf! she stole Elena from me and every ounce of happiness I’ve ever known. I’m not going to let her just walk away from that.
- I don’t go behind people’s backs and torture them. I like my enemies to look me in the eye and see the depth of my rage.
- Thanks, but I’d rather stay home and stub my toe repeatedly.
- You made your bed. Have a nice nap.
- What kind of backwards-ass logic is that?
- My true self is dark, Brother. And all that light just keeps getting in the way… keeping me from being who I really am.
- I thought she had changed me. I thought she made me a better man, but I was wrong. I was so wrong. It was always gonna end up this way. With me destroying her. That’s what my whole tour-of-duty in the Phoenix stone has taught me – is that I’m permanently damaged goods.
- We both know the last few months have been impossible for me. I’ve been walking a tightrope, falling off constantly. I’m not a good brother when I’m not with Elena and when I’m not a good brother people get hurt.
- I’m sorry. I must have the wrong number, because I dialed ‘H’ for ‘Hero.’
- I’m sorry. We’ve been on our own – scorned, abused, imprisoned for so long, I’ve forgotten that this world is meant to be enjoyed, not feared.
- You do realise that this innate desire to keep Elena physically present in your life, this boyish refusal to let her go will only put her in more danger? After everything you’ve been through, what a shame it would be to lose her because you’re too terrified to find out who you actually are without her.
- Only one of us gets the luxury of time. promise me you’ll use yours to the fullest.
- It’s funny how one event can change the outcome of your entire life.
- I heard the fear in your voice. You weren’t afraid of dying, you were afraid that I was going to die for you. You were afraid that it wouldn’t have been worth it. Me sacrificing myself for you. Because you don’t love me the way I love you… and the guilt of that sacrifice would eat you alive.
- The truth is, I’ve never loved anyone the way I love you, but that’s not true for you. And now, by some miracle, you get the chance to go back and make things right with Caroline. I know you never meant to hurt me. I even know that you loved me in your own way. And maybe, if things had been different, if the world had been kinder to us, I could’ve been the love of your life too. Your small, quiet, human life.
- I saw the ‘x’ carved in Stefan’s chest. Pretty sure she’s not playing Tic-Tac-Toe.
- You changed my life, you know that? You completely turned it around and for that I will always love you, even though I know you don’t love me the same way.
- Bravery is knowing you’re going to lose, but doing it anyway.
- I was sent to the workhouse at the age of four, with a concept of family so limited I actually convinced myself that an Italian line cook was my father. By fourteen I was out on the streets. By twenty-seven I was dead. That is it. That is the sum total of my life as a human. I know how to comfort myself, live off scraps and catch disease. The rest? you know, love, relationships, family… these are things I know nothing about.
- I know why you wanted to do this in a letter – so you could desiccate in peace, imagining whatever reaction you wanted. Me reading it and thinking “huh, I’m really gonna miss him.” Well, too bad, because that’s not my reaction – this is. I am not okay with you choosing yourself. And I’m not okay with never seeing you – my best friend – ever again. This hurts me. This hurts… this hurts me. And as you desiccate, and as you feel the pangs of hunger as the blood drains from your body, that’s what I want you to remember. That you hurt me.
- I have always wanted to be loved by someone the way that you loved me. And I would rather have these memories than a future where I destroy them.